Saturday, March 29, 2014

Fried Calamari

A couple of weeks ago when I first made calamari for me and Louis my parents and sisters really wanted to try some. My parents stayed in NY where they worked and my little sister was visiting her best friend South Carolina who was ready to give birth, so only my older sister got to try some. A couple of nights ago everyone was home except for my mom so I decided to go over with the boys and fry up some calamari for them. My nephew Zander who is already showing a big interest in cooking by making "meals" for his mom, dad and grandparents with play dough and anything else he can find around the house was super interested in watching me cook so he sat by the kitchen sink to see me prepare the squid. I really can't wait till he is a little older and he can really assist me while cooking. 

What you'll need:
16oz container of frozen squid (thawed) 
1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
2 tbsp dried parsley
1 heaping tbsp garlic powder
2 tsp seasoned salt
1 tsp pepper
Vegetable oil for frying 
Lemon 
Ranch or marinara for dipping

Take the thawed out squid rinse and separate the tentacles from the body. 

Take the body and slice length wise into little rings and place the squid into a colander.

Place oil into a pot and heat on medium-high heat.

In a bowl add the flour, parsley. Garlic powder, salt and pepper. Mix together.

Drop the squid into the flour mixture and use hands to toss and fully coat all of the squid pieces.

When the oil is heated carefully drop a hand full of the coated squid into the oil. 
Cook until slightly browned.
Use a slotted spoon to scoop out the calamari and place on paper towels to absorb some of the oil.

When serving squirt some lemon over the calamari. Serve with marinara or ranch for dipping.

Original recipe from: http://chaosinthekitchen.com/2013/04/calamari-fritti-fried-calamari/

No comments:

Post a Comment