Monday, April 7, 2014

Sweet potato casserole crepes

So last week when me and Louis went out to dinner I was telling him the ideas I had for crepe flavors, one that stood out to him and me was the sweet potato concept. I figured it was one of the healthier options and we both love sweet potato pie, the only problem was how could I take a sweet potato casserole and deconstruct it to make a good crepe? So I went to my favorite recipe for a Boston market sweet potato casserole and slowly went through each ingredient and step adjusting and tweaking as I went along. I tried to make the recipe as healthy as possible because both me and my sister are trying to eat healthier so I swapped out some sugar for honey and also cut a lot of the sugar amounts in half. I wanted to make it healthy with out compromising taste. I also wanted to add the traditional marshmallows into it but i wasn't sure how, maybe mini marshmallows? But Louis said it wouldn't look as great and when you have a sweet potato casserole the marshmallows are melted and soft so I couldn't just throw whole marshmallows on top...then I though maybe marshmallow fluff, and he agreed that seemed like a better choice, so I figured I would make a marshmallow frosting. The only problem was 1. It would be too stiff 2. It would be too sweet. So I cut the sugar and butter amounts down and upped the milk amounts, that way it would be more of a drizzle which is more visually appealing. I think that I finally got it perfect so I had my sister and Louis try it before I decided on posting the recipe up and they both approved! 

Sweet potato filling:

1 15oz can of sweet potatoes drained (keep about 1/2 cup of liquid)
1 tbsp butter
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp honey
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tbsp sugar

Add the sweet potatoes, butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla and honey into a food processor and blend until smooth, slowly add some of the liquid from the yams into the mixture until the mixture is smooth.

In another bowl add the cream and sugar. Whip the cream until stiff peaks form.

Gently fold in the sweet potato mixture into the whip cream until completely incorporated. Place bowl in the fridge until you are ready to use it. 

Oatmeal crumble:

1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup old fashion oats
1/4 cup of brown sugar
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon 
3 tbsp butter

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Add all the ingredients into a clean food processor, blend all until it starts to look like a crumble.


Spread the mixture on to a lightly greased baking pan. 


Bake for 12 minutes, remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes. 


Remove from the pan and crumble into a bowl to use in the crepe. 



Marshmallow drizzle:

1/3 cup of marshmallow fluff
2 tbsp butter softened
1/2 tsp vanilla
3-5 tsp milk
1/4 cup powdered sugar
Spray your measuring cup with a little non stick spray to help the marshmallow fluff slide out easier. Add all of the ingredients into a bowl, blend together until smooth, the mix should be runny. 

Start off by making a few crepes using the basic crepe recipe, after the crepes cool down a bit, pipe some whipped sweet potato into the crepe and fold over, drizzle some of the marshmallow over top and sprinkle some oatmeal crumble on top.  


Inspiration for recipe from:  http://www.ziplist.com/souschef?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.copykat.com%2F2011%2F12%2F13%2Fboston-market-sweet-potato-casserole-2%2F


No comments:

Post a Comment