Saturday, April 12, 2014

Homemade chai tea concentrate

Me and my sisters LOVE chai tea, every year for Christmas I make sure to make my sisters a big jar of homemade chai tea mix (I'll post that recipe up around Christmas when I make it again) but it is usually gone with in 2 weeks. This recipe is a lot easier and healthier than the homemade chai tea mix because you don't have to use things like coffee creamer or sugar (unless you want too, I'm totally not judging) and you don't need to pull out your food processor to grind everything together. This recipe is as simple as throwing everything into a pot and letting it boil together for a bit. Plus I found this really cute illustration on Pinterest for making it, I changed a few things like the amounts and some of the ingredients. 
Image Via Pinterest 

Chai tea concentrate

6 black tea bags 
6 cups of water
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp cardamom or nutmeg
2/3 cups of honey or sugar (you can use less but I like my tea sweet)
3 tsp vanilla

In a pot boil 6 cups of water. Once the water is boiling add the 6 tea bags (I used Twinings Darjeeling tea) and tie them to the handle of the pot. 

Let the yea steep in the water for about 3 minutes.

Add the cinnamon, cloves, ginger and cardamom or nutmeg.

Mix in and then add in the honey and let cook on medium heat for about 20 minutes until some of the water evaporates and the mixture becomes a little thicker.

Remove from heat and mix in 3 tsp of vanilla.

Remove the tea bags making sure to squeeze the liquid from the bags.

Let mixture cool and add to a bottle or jar with a top and store in the fridge till you are ready to use. It will make about 3 cups of concentrate. 

Add some of the mixture (it depends on how strong you want the chai, I add 1/4 cup) to a cup of milk, soy, almond or coconut milk and enjoy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment