Monday, April 14, 2014

Chicken Noodle Soup


When ever me and my sisters use to get sick when we were younger my parents use to make us awesome chicken soup. Every time I would have it I would feel so much better and it was delicious. I added lemon juice to the original recipe my parents taught me for the extra vitamin c, but you can omit it if you want.  

3 tbsp olive oil
2 onions
4 cloves of garlic
7 large carrots
7 large stocks of celery
16 cups of water
1 1/2 pounds of skinless chicken thighs or breast
3 chicken bullion cubes
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp parsley
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 pound of pasta (I used medium shells)
2 lemons juiced
Salt and pepper to taste

In a large pot heat olive oil on low heat, add the chopped onions and garlic. Let them cook for about a minute, then add the celery and carrots. Let them cook for about 5 minutes. 

While the vegetables are cooking clean and rinse the chicken. Fill the pot with water and add in the chicken. 

Bring the water to a boil and let the chicken cook for 15-20 minutes or until done.
Lower the heat, use a spoon to scoop the fat that has risen to the top of the water and place in a cup to throw out when it cools. 
Remove the chicken from the soup and place on a plate to cool. 
Add in the chicken bullion, oregano, basil and parsley. Bring the soup back to a boil and add in the pasta, let cook until pasta is done. 
While you are waiting for the pasta to cook take the cooled chicken and shred it into small pieces. 
Once the pasta is done remove from heat. Add the chicken and lemon juice into the soup, season with salt and pepper, serve with whole grain saltines. 

No comments:

Post a Comment