Monday, April 21, 2014

Lemon Ricotta crepes with Blueberry Sauce

This past weekend we had family over at my parents for Easter. We always have such a blast when ever they visit and by the end of the weekend I am always stuffed to the brim with delicious food that my parents make. We had lamb, turkey, stuffing, a delicious tiramisu (my cousin Bianca made), Flan de Coco and a carrot cake. All the food was amazing and after we got home I knocked out with a food coma. I didn't wake up until the early afternoon since Louis woke up early and was taking care of Jowell and Lennox was still asleep by the time I woke up. I didn't want to skip making crepes even though it was already the afternoon so I decided to make them for brunch. I had ricotta cheese in the fridge because I was planning on making cannoli bites for the weekend but didn't have time and a carton of blueberries that surprisingly my son did not devour. With the warm air and sunny sky I wanted to make something that went along with how I felt bright and happy. 

Start off by making the crepes using this recipe.

Lemon Ricotta filling:
2 cups whole ricotta (strained) 
1/2 cup powdered sugar
The zest from 2 lemons
The juice of 2 lemons
1 tsp vanilla extract

Mix together the ricotta, sugar and vanilla extract. Add in the lemon zest and lemon juice.

Blueberry sauce:
1 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 cup of blueberries

In a sauce pan add the water, sugar, lemon juice and vanilla. Sprinkle in the cornstarch making sure to whisk while adding so it doesn't clump together (I ended up straining the mix because i had a few lumps of cornstarch that wouldn't dissolve). Bring mix to a boil and whisk until the mixture thicken a bit. Add in the blueberries and lower the heat. Simmer for 10 minutes or until some of the blueberries start to burst open. 

Add the lemon ricotta inside of the crepe, fold over and top with blueberry sauce. 

No comments:

Post a Comment