Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Simple Sesame Chicken

Louis is constantly trying to get me to go to the Chinese buffet. If we lived next to one I could bet that he would eat there everyday if he had the chance. I on the other hand like Chinese food but I'm not as crazy over it like Louis is, I also hate the added MSG that most restaurants add to their food. One of my most favorite dishes is sesame chicken, I don't know what it is about it but it's always between that and beef with broccoli that are my go to dish. The only problem with eating out is 1. It's not the healthiest choice 2. You don't exactly know every ingredient they use 3. It can get quite expensive if you do it a lot. So I figured why not try my hand at making some sesame chicken at home for us, plus it would save us from spending extra money we could be saving for our little backyard wedding this summer (oh yea did I forget to mention that? Don't worry there will be more details in upcoming posts). I finally found a very simple and tasty recipe to use on the BudgetBytes website

Chicken: 
3 skinless boneless chicken breast
2 eggs
4 tbsp corn starch
1/4 tsp salt and pepper
Vegetable oil for frying

Rinse off your chicken breast and cut into cubes, it should come out to about 3 cups. In a bowl combine the eggs, cornstarch, salt and pepper. 


Toss your chicken in the mixture making sure to fully coat each piece. 

In a large pan pour in the vegetable oil and turn stove to medium high to heat. Once the oil is hot place the chicken in carefully making sure that each piece of chicken is separated.
Once the chicken is semi browned on one side flip and cook on the other sides until the chicken is fully cooked. 

Place chicken on a plate lined with paper towels to absorb any extra oil. I had to do this in 3 batches. 

Sauce: 
4 tbsp soy sauce (low sodium)
2 tbsp water 
1 tbsp sesame seeds
3 tbsp brown sugar
3 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
3 cloves of garlic minced
4 tbsp sesame oil
2 tbsp corn starch
Sesame seeds for garnishing
Chopped green onions for garnishing

In a small bowl add all the ingredients except the green onions.

 A little tip is to peel skin of the ginger by scraping it off with a spoon and grating the ginger in a cheese grater using the smallest holes. Mix all the ingredients together and set the bowl aside.

After all the chicken is cooked lower the heat and add all the chicken back to the pan, pour the sauce over the chicken. It will immediately start to thicken once it hits the heat of the pan, mix the chicken around and make sure each piece is fully coated.

Turn the heat off and serve over brown rice, sprinkle with some extra sesame seeds and some green onions. One thing I will say is I wish I would have doubled the recipe for the sauce because that is really my favorite part, next time I'll do it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment