Friday, May 2, 2014

Sausage and peppers

For the past week I have been saying I was going to defrost the Italian sausages we bought last week so I could make stuffed manicotti's. Yesterday I finally took the sausages out of the freezer to only later realize I was out of pasta sauce. The next best thing I thought was to make sausage and peppers, I've never cooked it before but it seemed simple enough and found a recipe online that was easy. Unfortunately I was having one of those days, nothing was working right for me and my head was pounding. Our littlest one has been refusing to sleep for more than 15 minutes during nap time and I had planned on starting dinner at 4 but as most mothers know, when you have kids plans are usually tossed out the window. Thankfully my oldest was cooperating and actually took his nap on time. Louis got home from work and took the baby off my hands so I could start cooking, but of course by that time my patience was already wearing a little thin so chopping the veggies with a horribly dull knife drove me nuts (note to self: invest in nice sharp knives or a knife sharpener) but I eventually got through chopping everything I needed to actually start cooking. 

You will need: 
2 lbs cooked Italian sausage sliced
2 large onions sliced 
1 red bell pepper sliced 
1 green bell pepper sliced 
2 garlic cloves minced
2 tomatoes chopped
1/4 cup white wine
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried parsley
1/4 tsp dried thyme
Salt and pepper
Pasta (optional)
Parmesan cheese (optional)
Parsely to garnish


Cook the Italian sausages whole in a pan with a tbsp of water at the bottom on medium heat until the sides start to brown a bit, turn them every once in a while to brown all sides. Remove from pan and let cool while you cook the veggies. Once cooled a but slice the sausages. 
Heat some olive oil in a pan and cook the onions until translucent.
 
Add in the peppers and garlic and tomatoes, cook for a minute. At this point I realized that the pan I used was way to small. Part of me wanted to just commit to the pan since I already started cooking but Louis told me I was just being stubborn and to get a larger pan...I ended up finally switching out pans.


Add the sausages mix in. Cook on low heat for 20 minutes. 
Season with oregano, basil, parsley, and thyme. Add salt and pepper to taste.

I served it over some pasta shells and garnished with some Parmesan and parsley. Louis said next time he wants to try it in a sandwich. 

Original recipe from: http://mobile.dudamobile.com/site/amazingappetizerrecipes?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazingappetizerrecipes.com%2Fappetizer-recipes%2Feasy-party-appetizers%2Fitalian-sausage-and-peppers-recipe%2F&dm_redirected=true#2846

No comments:

Post a Comment