Friday, May 9, 2014

Homemade Chili

Me and Louis absolutely love chili, when we use to go out to eat he use to always make sure to order a bowl depending on where we were. He had asked me to try and make him some so he could enjoy a nice big bowl at home, when I make mine it usually isn't crazy spicy because I'm so sensitive to heat so this version is more on the mild side but feel free to add more heat if you would like. 

You will need:
1 large onion diced
1 green bell pepper diced
3 garlic cloves minced
1 pound ground turkey
1 32 oz can diced tomatoes
1 32 oz can tomato sauce
3 15.5oz can black beans or kidney beans undrained
2-3 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp paprika 
1-2 tsp salt
1 tsp basil
1/2 tsp ground pepper
Sour cream (optional)
Shredded cheese (optional)
Avocado (optional)

In a pot add a little bit of olive oil, onions and pepper. 
Mix around and cook on medium heat for a minute.
Add in the ground turkey and garlic.
Cook the ground turkey and vegetables for 8 minutes or until all the meat is cooked. Drain the liquid from the meat.
Add in the tomato sauce and diced tomatoes.
At this point I realized my pot was too small and I had to pour it into a larger pot...that always happens to me. Next add in the three cans of beans liquid and all.
Mix everything up and add in the spices, I only added 2 tsp of chili powder but feel free to add more depending on your heat preference.
Bring the chili to a boil, once it starts to bubble turn the heat down low, cover and let simmer for 20 minutes.
Allow the mix to cool a bit. Serve with a sprinkle of cheese, a dollop of sour cream, a few saltines and some avocado (my little sister got me into eating avocado with everything) 

No comments:

Post a Comment