Monday, June 16, 2014

Crunchy coconut French toast with coconut syrup


So it's been hard for me to come up with crepe recipes, I think I'm all crepe'd out so Crepe Monday will be taking a hiatus until I can come up with new flavors and ideas, if you have any new ideas for flavors please feel free to comment below. I saw a recipe for crunchy French toast and started to drool a bit. I just love idea of the soft inside of a warm piece of French toast with a nice crunchy outer layer. I took it one step further and decided to add coconut flakes and make a coconut syrup recipe I also came across. I have to say this made my tummy extremely happy. I have to apologize in advance for the terrible pictures but the boys were not cooperating with me one bit, so I would have to snap a quick picture then run and help Jowell with something or pick up Lennox's toy. This breakfast would probably only take me less than 30 minutes to make on a regular day but this morning I think everyone woke up on the wrong side of the bed...it just wasn't happening...but I actually managed to get a good amount of sleep in what seemed like a week and a half of sleeping in one hour intervals since my little one was going through a growth spurt and wanted to feed around the clock. Thankfully that is all over with and he is back to sleeping in his crib and only waking up once a night...ahhh the feeling of being {somewhat} rested...every mothers dream...

Coconut syrup: 

1/2 cup butter
¾ cup Coconut milk
1 cup sugar
½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp coconut extract
1/2 cup heavy cream 

In a medium sized pot put the butter, coconut milk and sugar. Heat over medium heat until the butter is melted and you no longer feel any sugar granules.
Bring the mix to a boil and allow to boil for about a minute or two.
Remove from heat and add the baking soda, and coconut extract.
It will start to foam, just keep mixing until the baking soda is mixed in and there are no lumps. Next mix in the heavy cream and allow to cool before using. 

Original recipe from: http://cookingalamode.blogspot.com/2010/03/blender-french-toast-with-coconut-syrup.html?m=1

Crunchy Coconut French Toast:

2 eggs
1/4 cup coconut milk
2 Tbsp flour
3 Tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla 
1/2 loaf of French bread sliced
2 cups corn flakes
1 cup coconut flakes

In a large skillet melt a tablespoon of butter on medium heat. 
In a bowl mix together the eggs, coconut milk, flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon and vanilla.
Place the corn flakes in a ziplock bag and use a rolling pin or what ever item you want to use to crush the cornflakes until the are about half their size. Mix the coconut flakes and the cornflakes together in a separate bowl. 
Take the sliced French bread and quickly dip the French bread into the egg mixture.
Let any extra egg mix drip from the bread then coat the bread in the cornflake mixture making sure to press the bread into the mix to cover all of the bread. 
Place the bread into the heated skillet and cook for about 2-4 minutes on each side or just until browned. 

Original recipe from: http://tastesbetterfromscratch.com/2014/03/crunchy-french-toast.html


No comments:

Post a Comment